Syrian Oil and Gaz News

Iraq receives Saudi offer to rebuild oil pipeline

Iraq’s Oil Ministry is studying an offer submitted by a private Saudi company to rebuild the idled Iraq Saudi oil export pipeline, ministry spokesman Asim Jihad told Reuters on Sunday.

 

 

Jihad and a representative of the Saudi firm, Ali Mahir, said the offer proposed involving Japan’s Mitsubishi and a Hungarian company identified as OTV, which took part in the construction of the original 626 km (390 mile) pipeline.

Jihad said: “We welcome any cooperation with Saudi Arabia in the oil sector to enhance bilateral relations. The offer is under discussion.”

OPEC member Iraq first started oil exports through the 1.7 million barrels per day pipeline in 1989, but the Saudis shut it off the following year after the start of the Gulf War. It has remained closed since then.